Feeds: 5-6 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 9-14 minutes
♦ 10 Medium Court Farm Free Range Eggs, 2 beaten
♦ 800g Court Farm Shop Sausage Meat (choose from over 20 different flavours!)
♦ Sea Salt to taste (Optional)
♦ Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste (Optional)
♦ Plain Flour for dusting
♦ 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
♦ 2 litres of Vegetable Oil
A Note From the Farmers
Court Farm has been producing Free Range Eggs since 1936. We nurture our small flocks with the highest quality care and feed, which means that our hens lay beautifully fresh eggs with golden yolks. All our eggs are collected daily and can be on your plate within a day if not the same day they are laid! You can’t get much fresher than that and they are perfect for making Scotch Eggs!
Court Farm Shop Butchery offers a fantastic range of sausages and sausage meat. We have over 20 different flavours to choose from for your Scotch Eggs including Plain Pork, Honey & Mustard, Gloster, Hog Roast, Cracked Black Pepper, Chilli & Chive and two of our very own recipes; Orchard (incorporating a local Cotswold Cider) & Toulouse.
Pop into Court Farm Shop for your ingredients and a full range of other delicious treats!
- Put the first 8 eggs into a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil them for 3 to 4 minutes (if you like your yolks to be a little runny), or 5 to 6 minutes (if you like your eggs harder boiled) then transfer them to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully shell them.
- Put the sausage meat into a separate bowl with an optional pinch of salt and pepper to taste (all our sausage meat already has salt & pepper incorporated so you won’t need much). Mix it together then divide into 8 balls.
- Prepare 3 plates – one with a handful of flour (we use Wessex Mill Plain Flour), one with the beaten eggs and a third with the breadcrumbs.
- Ensure you flour your hands. In the palm of one hand, flatten one of the sausage balls into a pattie. Roll a shelled egg in flour, then put it in the middle of the Pattie. Carefully shape the meat evenly around the egg, moulding it with your hands.
- Roll the meat-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg followed by the breadcrumbs. Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs again for a double coating.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150ºC/300ºF. Use a cooking thermometer to ensure the correct temperature is reached.
- Carefully lower the eggs into the pan, using a frying basket if you have one, and cook for about 5-8 minutes, turning them gently until they are golden. The sausage meat needs to be cooked through with the outside being crispy & golden.
- Remove the Scotch Eggs with a slotted spoon and leave them to drain on kitchen paper.
- Cool the eggs slightly, serve and enjoy!